Moving out of a property can be a really stressful time. There are many not-so obvious things that we advise our tenant’s to consider before checking out of a property to ensure the maximum or full deposit returned. We hold our tenants deposit with the TDS and if we fully manage the tenancy- we arrange the return of the deposit and negotiate any deductions.
Not-so-obvious things to take into consideration:
- Cut the lawn, shrubs, any outside areas front and back, dispose of any old rubbish, furniture in the property or shed/garage that belongs to you.
- Ensure all rooms including windows, woodwork, doors, floors and appliances are left clean.
- Empty and clean all drawers, cupboards, sheds and lofts if applicable.
- report any outstanding maintenance issues to your property manager or Landlord at least four weeks before your departure.
- Shower, toilet, basin and bath to be cleaned and any limescale removed.
- Ensure all light bulbs, switches, smoke alarms etc are all in working order.
- KEYS- make sure all keys for windows, garages, sheds, back doors, spare sets are all handed over to the clerk/agent/landlord on your departure.
- Take meter reading and cancel any energy plans or internet/tv packages.
- Check with your letting agent if your check-out has been booked if applicable.
- Set-up a royal mail post re-directory.
- Let your friends and family know of your new address.
- Cancel window cleaner/gardener or any other services for that property.
- Book professional cleaning of upholstery, carpets, appliances and oven if required.
We advise all of our tenants to leave the property in the same condition they found it in and to take note of the above recommendations from the TDS.
If you would like any recommendations for local cleaners or clearance contractors local to the Sutton Borough, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Patricia Shepherd Letting & Management
020 8255 5526